[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #20450: wp_dropdown_categories - inconsistent use of single-quotes causes (javascript) assignment issues

WordPress Trac wp-trac at lists.automattic.com
Sun Apr 15 23:06:37 UTC 2012

#20450: wp_dropdown_categories - inconsistent use of single-quotes causes
(javascript) assignment  issues
 Reporter:  rcain         |      Owner:
     Type:  defect (bug)  |     Status:  new
Component:  General       |    Version:  3.3.1
 Severity:  minor         |   Keywords:
 wp_dropdown_categories outputs double-quote characters for all options
 (value etc) BUT single-quote characters for main select attributes - which
 is inconsistent.

 this causes a problem when assigning output to eg. a javascript string -
 meaning we must perform a separate 'replace' operation first.

 similarly, we already have to do a replace of all newline-characters in
 output for newline-backslash - in order that its multi-line output can be
 assigned to a javascript variable.

 please could we have double-quote characters used consistently  in output?
 ideally provision of a javascript friendly output format (ie. backslash-
 newline) would also be great - though my no means essential.