[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #19090: Write strings in numbered argument conversion specifications form for translating

WordPress Trac wp-trac at lists.automattic.com
Sun Oct 30 01:27:54 UTC 2011

#19090: Write strings in numbered argument conversion specifications form for
translating
 Reporter:  jiehanzheng   |      Owner:
     Type:  defect (bug)  |     Status:  new
Component:  Users         |    Version:  3.3
 Severity:  major         |   Keywords:
 Strings should be written in numbered argument conversion specifications
 from so that they can be translated into other languages like Chinese
 without sounding weird.

 For example, we've got this string here
 http://core.trac.wordpress.org/browser/trunk/wp-admin/user-new.php#L75

 {{{
 $message = __("Hi,\n\nYou have been invited to join '%s' at\n%s with the
 role of %s.\nPlease click the following link to confirm the
 invite:\n%s\n");
 }}}

 The placeholders are all unnumbered, so I am unable to rearrange the
 arguments to make them sound better. Chinese translation requires
 get_option('blogname') to be the first, $_REQUEST[ 'role' ] as the second,
 then site_url(), and site_url("/newbloguser/$newuser_key/") as the last,
 which cannot be fulfilled with the current string.