[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #18953: String index handling mistake in TinyMCE's JSON.php causes a PHP "Notice" message

WordPress Trac wp-trac at lists.automattic.com
Fri Oct 14 21:42:55 UTC 2011

#18953: String index handling mistake in TinyMCE's JSON.php causes a PHP "Notice"
message
 Reporter:  carlosman     |      Owner:
     Type:  defect (bug)  |     Status:  new
Component:  TinyMCE       |    Version:  3.2.1
 Severity:  trivial       |   Keywords:
 In the SpellChecker plugin for TinyMCE with a PHP backend, in file
 JSON.php, in lines 332 ("read" function) and 350 ("peek" function), the
 $this->_data string index ($this->_pos) is compared with $this->_data
 string length ($this->_len). These allow errors in lines 339 and 351 of
 their respective functions, when the $this->_pos index gets to be equal to
 the length of the string.  This situation generates the following messages
 to show up in PHP servers configured to show notice-level debug
 information:

 Notice: Uninitialized string offset: <length of _data> in <WordPress path
 >/wp-includes/js/tinymce/plugins/spellchecker/classes/utils/JSON.php on
 line 351

 Notice: Uninitialized string offset: <length of _data> in <WordPress path
 >/wp-includes/js/tinymce/plugins/spellchecker/classes/utils/JSON.php on
 line 339

 I will attach a patch file to illustrate how I solved this situation.