[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #19308: C-style hexadecimal is incorrectly "fixed" to change the 'x' into a mathematical '×'

WordPress Trac wp-trac at lists.automattic.com
Mon Nov 21 00:39:00 UTC 2011

#19308: C-style hexadecimal is incorrectly "fixed" to change the 'x' into a
mathematical '×'
 Reporter:  harrym        |      Owner:
     Type:  defect (bug)  |     Status:  new
Component:  Formatting    |    Version:
 Severity:  normal        |   Keywords:  has-patch
 Pretty much what the title says. I'm running trunk. "0x07" gets converted
 to "0×07".

 I've attached a patch which fixes this issue by not performing the
 conversion if the first number starts with a zero -- this is not perfect,
 and I might have a go at something better when it's not 0030, if you guys
 decide this should be changed.

 My $0.02 - since it's a bit odd to multiply zero by something, I don't
 think that very many people will expect/want this conversion to happen --
 and the lack of conversion is unlikely to confuse those that do.

 On the other hand, this conversion is confusing for any blog post using
 this hex notation, and does make those posts actually wrong.