[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #19296: add/apend templates 'transparently' via plugin to currently active theme or child theme.

WordPress Trac wp-trac at lists.automattic.com
Sat Nov 19 02:00:28 UTC 2011

#19296: add/apend templates 'transparently' via plugin to currently active theme or
child theme.
 Reporter:  anointed     |      Owner:
     Type:  enhancement  |     Status:  new
Component:  Themes       |    Version:
 Severity:  normal       |   Keywords:
 In building a custom 'theme plugin' for bbpress I was just made aware that
 it is impossible for a plugin to 'transparently' add/append template files
 to the currently active theme or child theme.

 I'd like to request the enhancement where when a theme is looking for a
 custom template such as single-forum.php to search a plugin folder if it
 is not found in the child theme or parent theme.

 I'm thinking of some type of action where my plugin can say 'add me' to
 the list of places you are looking for templates.

 If my understanding is correct, when WordPress is looking for a template
 it starts in the child, then the parent theme but ends there.

 Why?
 If I have a user manually add all of the custom templates needed to their
 current theme, and they update their theme, they will loose all the
 templates they manually added.

 This means I have no way of giving a user custom theme templates that
 won't be lost when upgrading, thus requiring them to manually add the
 templates back in every time they upgrade their theme.

 What it really means for me is that there is no real path for me to create
 custom bbpress templates for users where I don't have to worry about them
 loosing them.

 I can go the route that bbpress currently uses in this situation which is
 that bbpress uses the themes page.php template and replaces the_content().
 The problem is I am stuck with whatever is included in the active themes
 page.php file.

 *for instance twentyten has the title hardcoded in and the call to the
 sidebar, which I can't remove

 I can't go the child theme route, because I have to assume that they are
 already using a child theme.

 Another dev told me today that this issue came up about 2 years ago. I am
 praying that there was proof of concept code somewhere that I can try to
 utilize. Does anyone happen to know if concept code exists anywhere?