[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #12991: Allow setting default_comment_status specifically for Pages (or for any post type)

WordPress Trac wp-trac at lists.automattic.com
Thu Nov 3 14:22:19 UTC 2011

#12991: Allow setting default_comment_status specifically for Pages (or for any
post type)
-----------------------------------+-----------------------------
 Reporter:  demetris               |       Owner:  messenlehner
     Type:  enhancement            |      Status:  assigned

Comment (by chipbennett):

 Is this ticket going anywhere, or is it DOA? I would be happy to work on
 it, if the underlying intent is still acceptable.

 I think the correct approach would be to replace `default_comment_status`
 with `default_comment_status_post`, `default_comment_status_page`, and
 `default_comment_status_attachment` (which establishes a convention of
 `default_comment_status_$posttype` for CPTs).

 Also, the ''Default article settings'' text needs to be changed. As far as
 I know, '''Posts''' aren't referred to as '''Articles''' anywhere else?

 Regarding the UI, I would propose renaming the section from "Default
 article settings" to "Default comment status", and then provide grouped
 checkboxes for the following:

 {{{
 Allow people to post comments on:       [ ] Posts
                                         [ ] Pages
                                         [ ] Attachments

 Allow link notifications
 (pingbacks/trackbacks) on:              [ ] Posts
                                         [ ] Pages
                                         [ ] Attachments

 Attempt to notify blogs linked to from: [ ] Posts
                                         [ ] Pages
                                         [ ] Attachments
 }}}
 ...but this would need to be extensible for registered CPTs. (Perhaps
 through a filter?)

 Related: when will the core `options-$section.php` files be implementing
 the Settings API? If/when that happens, then custom post type support
 becomes nothing more than a matter of adding an `add_settings_field()`
 call along with the `register_post_type()` call.

--
Ticket URL: <http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/12991#comment:22>