[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #14222: Improve dashboard recent comments widget performance by not fetching spam comments

WordPress Trac wp-trac at lists.automattic.com
Tue Jul 5 13:11:36 UTC 2011

#14222: Improve dashboard recent comments widget performance by not fetching spam
comments
 Reporter:  Viper007Bond                         |       Owner:
     Type:  defect (bug)                         |      Status:  new

Comment (by chmac):

 I just hit this problem on a self hosted site with >30k spam comments. We
 get a lot of spam volume, and hitting the dashboard admin was putting PHP
 into a near-perpetual loop looking for enough comments. Very, very, very
 bad for the server. Somehow PHP was getting around the 30 second max
 execution time and so after hitting the page a few times, the whole server
 ground to a halt. :-(

 Having just read the history (briefly), unless there's a major performance
 hit to put != spam into the query, I think that makes the most sense.

--
Ticket URL: <http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/14222#comment:16>