[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #13544: Use "Attachment URL" instead of "Post URL" in image uploader button to avoid confusion

WordPress Trac wp-trac at lists.automattic.com
Thu Jan 13 18:10:41 UTC 2011

#13544: Use "Attachment URL" instead of "Post URL" in image uploader button to
avoid confusion
----------------------------------------+------------------------------
 Reporter:  jeremyclarke                |       Owner:
     Type:  enhancement                 |      Status:  new

Comment (by jeremyclarke):

 I think distinction is definitely clear enough to be worth distinguishing.
 Calling it the "Post url" is very confusing because in WP the word 'Post'
 refers to post_type=post (blog posts).

 In the code 'post' could refer to any post object living in wp_posts, but
 in terms of the UI people have no reason to think that way yet. When the
 UI presents all other non-core post_type's it uses their post_type name,
 not the word 'post', and I think the media/attachments UIs should follow
 this pattern and refer to the 'post' for the attachment as the attachment
 itself.

 The only risk here is that people are confused and think that the
 'attachment url' will be a link to the file itself. IMHO this is not
 something that is worth worrying about because the 'attachment url' is
 right next to 'file url'. The juxtaposition of these two choices makes it
 easier to understand their relationship, and I can't think of any other
 conclusions someone could draw from these two buttons together than what
 they will actually do.

 If attachment is wrong then it should be changed to something else that
 isn't just 'post'. When someone is working with edit.php on a
 post_type=post the word 'Post' should be reserved for the primary post
 they are currently editing.

--
Ticket URL: <http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/13544#comment:5>