[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #18489: Create constants in default-constants.php for the uploads folder to allow better custom uploads location

WordPress Trac wp-trac at lists.automattic.com
Tue Aug 23 00:46:01 UTC 2011

#18489: Create constants in default-constants.php for the uploads folder to allow
better custom uploads location
-----------------------------+------------------------
 Reporter:  eddiemoya        |       Owner:  eddiemoya
     Type:  enhancement      |      Status:  reopened

Comment (by eddiemoya):

 Per my conversation in IRC with Nacin and others...

 I've modified the approach by removing the define statements from default-
 constants.php, and merely checking to see if it exists at all within
 wp_uploads_dir(). This makes it much less likely that a developer would
 accidentally use it incorrectly, to get the uploads directory path.

 Scribu and Otto: I understand the desire to remove constants - but unless
 we have plans to change the way we have people move wp-content, this seems
 like a necessary and very useful evil. If we can move wp-content, it is
 only natural that we also be able to move uploads. Not to rehash what was
 talked about in IRC, but my primary point is one of ease-of-use. To have
 the official, sanctioned, USDA approved method of moving wp-content be so
 simple, and then to overcomplicate the moving of a directory directly
 effected by this change, by requiring a plugin is silly.

 Im open to other ways of simplifying the wp-content problem.

--
Ticket URL: <http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/18489#comment:13>