[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #18337: Help make switching between Number of Columns dragging apparent/add Ctrl-Z (or, Undo) and Ctrl-Y to admin actions

WordPress Trac wp-trac at lists.automattic.com
Fri Aug 5 17:06:28 UTC 2011

#18337: Help make switching between Number of Columns dragging apparent/add Ctrl-Z
(or, Undo) and Ctrl-Y to admin actions
 Reporter:  racqnhack    |      Owner:
     Type:  enhancement  |     Status:  new
Component:  UI           |    Version:  3.2.1
 Severity:  minor        |   Keywords:  dev-feedback 2nd-opinion ui-
                         |  feedback needs-ui
 I have got emails from people who were using WordPress that end up
 confused because they used switched 'Number of Columns' to 1 and back to
 2. In response I would just tell them to drag them back, in fact the first
 time I got this, I was confused and thought it may be a bug because I
 expected the right to be re-populated with my items.

 But, after discussing it with a few people on #wordpress we noticed why
 doing that could be complicated.

 So, what I am suggesting is:

 1) Remember the widgets that were on the right when Number of Columns to 1
 was clicked. And, when Number of Columns to 2 is clicked, they are re-
 populated. Of course, re-dragging them will forget about the previous
 setup and let the user do as they wish.

 2) Add an "Drag items here" to the right when Number of Columns to 1 is
 clicked. Then the user would know what happened. (see attached)

 3) A combination of 1 and 2?

 Another feature that was brought up was the ability to use CTRL-Z to undo
 an action like this, and CTRL-Y, of course, to re-do it. Just in case we
 don't have the right UI in place, such as in this case, they can just
 CTRL-Z (or, hit an undo from the message area) to undo it.