[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #11589: Disable the availability of deprecated functions by default for new installs

WordPress Trac wp-trac at lists.automattic.com
Thu Oct 7 20:39:06 UTC 2010

#11589: Disable the availability of deprecated functions by default for new
installs
-----------------------------+----------------------------------------------
 Reporter:  westi            |        Owner:  westi
     Type:  feature request  |       Status:  closed

Comment(by westi):

 Replying to [comment:16 scribu]:
 > We could set WP_ENABLE_DEPRECATED_FUNCTIONS to true by default so it
 wouldn't change current behaviour. People that don't need deprecated
 functions could then set it to false.

 > A different approach would be to move all the really old deprecated
 functions into a WP Legacy plugin. This is what BuddyPress does currently.

 The big problem is when you need the function you need it.

 If it's on by default most people won't know to disable it, and we have
 conditional includes which object caches don't like.

 Also how do you deal with the install/activation of plugin/theme which
 still uses the functions when they are disabled.

--
Ticket URL: <http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/11589#comment:17>