[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #10787: Send emails to notify Administrators that an update is avaialble for core|plugins|themes

WordPress Trac wp-trac at lists.automattic.com
Tue Oct 5 17:28:43 UTC 2010

#10787: Send emails to notify Administrators that an update is avaialble for
core|plugins|themes
-----------------------------+----------------------------------------------
 Reporter:  dd32             |        Owner:  dd32
     Type:  feature request  |       Status:  reopened

Comment(by MattyRob):

 @JDTrower,

 I'm with you on the admin bar thing too. I think features like these
 (admin bar, email notifications) are sometimes thought of as great ideas
 but in practice they are not widely welcomed.

 To be honest if both of these things come in I'll be waiting a long time
 and testing lots on the stable release before updating. I am not sure I
 like the fact that with every release I need to apply hacks to turn stuff
 off though. This should not be standard practice but maybe it's just me.

 As for emailing admins, how about operating a mailing list that announces
 new release independently of the core? There is always going to be an
 issue on hosts who totally block outgoing email because in this situation
 the email won't make it past the server even when WordPress tries to send,
 so this is not an all conquering solution anyway.

--
Ticket URL: <http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/10787#comment:20>