[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #10787: Send emails to notify Administrators that an update is avaialble for core|plugins|themes

WordPress Trac wp-trac at lists.automattic.com
Mon Oct 4 16:07:31 UTC 2010

#10787: Send emails to notify Administrators that an update is avaialble for
core|plugins|themes
-----------------------------+----------------------------------------------
 Reporter:  dd32             |        Owner:  dd32
     Type:  feature request  |       Status:  reopened

Comment(by MattyRob):

 @dd32,

 Well I am reassured a little that this is going to be something that can
 be turned off and that it won't become a spamming annoyance to those who
 don't want it.

 In the interests of the debate though...

 The wp-hackers list should be a list of people who know what they are
 doing - why they should want a reminder that WP needs an update is beyond
 my understanding. As for the forums - yes, I agree but the majority of
 forum stuff I see around the time of a new release is not about the
 process of updating it's asking if it's 'safe' or complaining that the
 update broke something.

 So, to your list of people who might appreciate the feature - that's a
 comprehensive list but can you put numbers on it? How many users of
 WordPress blog by XML_RPC and email and the other methods you list?

 Interesting what you say about the plugin too. While you propose that may
 users will like this feature how many have actively asked for it? Adding
 everything including the kitchen sink does not make WordPress better -
 adding too much makes for bloatware and a worse user experience.

 So, opt out is an absolute must if this is done, but first how much demand
 is there for this feature. What we have thus far is a small group saying
 it's a good idea and another small group saying it's a great idea. So, use
 the power of WordPress / Automattic and run a poll - ask users if they
 want this feature and respond accordingly.

 [oh, and 50% isn't a huge percentage - it's half but it was late and I
 think I know what you meant]

--
Ticket URL: <http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/10787#comment:18>