[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #14036: Post 404 errors due to a base post's name matching the Permalink option "category base"

WordPress Trac wp-trac at lists.automattic.com
Tue Jun 22 02:12:58 UTC 2010

#14036: Post 404 errors due to a base post's name matching the Permalink option
"category base"
 Reporter:  sniper231     |       Owner:
Component:  Permalinks    |     Version:  3.0
 Severity:  normal        |    Keywords:  permalink, 404, page name
 When the "category base" option under Settings>Permalinks is set as a
 value, one can still create a post with the same value used as the new
 post's name and thus its permalink path. Thus, when a user tries to
 navigate to the post via its permalink, Wordpress thinks the user wants to
 access a category and gives a 404 error.

 Here's an example.

 Say I set my category base in Settings>Permalinks to "general." All my
 categories are at mysite.com/general/... Now say I make a regular post and
 name it "General." Wordpress automatically assigns it the permalink
 "mysite.com/general". So, on my menus that list this post, this will be
 the link. However, when a user visits this link, Wordpress is set to
 recognize /general/ as the category base and it gives the user a 404
 error. All subposts under "General" also have a permalink that begins with
 mysite.com/general/ and thus are seen as categories by apache mod_rewrite
 and become 404 as well.

 Solution: users should not be able to have base pages whose names (and
 thus permalinks) are exact matches to the Settings>Permalinks>Category
 base value.