[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #13889: permalinks for 'hierarchical' custom taxonomies do not behave hierarchically - is this correct?

WordPress Trac wp-trac at lists.automattic.com
Mon Jun 14 15:21:23 UTC 2010

hierarchically - is this correct?
-------------------------+--------------------------------------------------
 Reporter:  yeswework    |       Owner:
     Type:  enhancement  |      Status:  new
Component:  Taxonomy     |     Version:
 Severity:  normal       |    Keywords:
-------------------------+--------------------------------------------------
 with conventional Categories, the permalinks generated and recognised by
 WordPress reflect the true hierarchy – so you might have a parent category
 books, a subcategory fiction, a further subcategory novels, and so on, and
 a function like wp_list_categories would then generate the appropriate
 link /books/fiction/novels/ etc...

 with custom taxonomies that have 'hierarchical = true', the behaviour is
 generally identical to Categories (eg. in the GUI). and yet the permalinks
 generated / accepted do not reflect the hierarchical structure – instead
 only one level appears to be accepted: either /books/fiction or
 /books/novels but not /books/fiction/novels etc...

 I can't tell whether this is a bug or a feature, or understand why it
 would be different - nor could I find any reference to it after an
 extensive search. can anyone clarify?

 the difference relates in part to the slightly different regular
 expressions for categories and custom taxonomies that turn up in rewrite
 rules, but I think it goes deeper than that, too.

 thanks.