[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #13790: Media Uploader's "Insert into Post" button disappears when editor is removed from custom post type

WordPress Trac wp-trac at lists.automattic.com
Wed Jun 9 04:26:04 UTC 2010

#13790: Media Uploader's "Insert into Post" button disappears when editor is
removed from  custom post type
-------------------------+--------------------------------------------------
 Reporter:  goto10       |       Owner:
     Type:  enhancement  |      Status:  new
Component:  General      |     Version:
 Severity:  normal       |    Keywords:
-------------------------+--------------------------------------------------
 I'm launching the Media Uploader from a button a la: [http://www
 .webmaster-source.com/2010/01/08/using-the-wordpress-uploader-in-your-
 plugin-or-theme/ here]  However, since my post type does not support the
 editor, the Insert into Post button does not appear.

 Sivel explained to me that this is intended behavior, but the addition of
 a new filter would make things cleaner for "strange" post types like the
 one I'm trying to create. For now, I have worked around the issue by
 hiding the editor with css.

 Here is a chat log where sivel brainstormed a possible solution:

 {{{
 <goto10> Hey guys (I was just directed here from #wordpress).  I think I
 may have found a bug in 3.0rc1:
         I'm using a custom post type with meta boxes.  One of the fields
 within a meta box is for a file path.
 <goto10>  I have a button next to the text box which launches the media
 library.  The problem is that if
         the custom post type does not have 'editor' within the 'supports'
 params, the "Insert into Post" button
         will not appear after the file has uploaded.  It will however, be
 on both the Gallery and Media Library tabs.
 <goto10> I have determined that if I set $send to TRUE right before line
 1268 of wp-admin/includes/media.php,
         it works! (The Insert into Post button returns. ...Now trying to
 figure out how to do that without the core hack.
 <sivel> That isn't necessarily a bug.  we define the abiltiy to "send to
 the editor" by a post type actually having
         the editor capability, otherwise there really isn't any place to
 send it
 <sivel> 'send' => post_type_supports(get_post_type($post->post_parent),
 'editor')
 <sivel> although perhaps a filter, that would allow people such as
 yourself to override that
 <sivel> might want to raise a ticket about it
 <goto10> Thanks sivel.  Yes, a filter would be very helpful.  The whole
 "paste in the url" routine for these fields
         is just not client friendly, and using the media uploader is great
 for this.
 <goto10> cool, I think I will make a ticket.  I would hate to see it
 disappear on the other tabs on account of me, but
         it seems that if hiding the button is expected behavior, than the
 Insert into Post button should not be appearing at all.
 <sivel> yeah, and perhaps make it something like:
         'send' => apply_filters('send_to_editor',
         post_type_supports(get_post_type($post->post_parent), 'editor'),
 get_post_type($post->post_parent))
 <goto10> I think that the snippet that you posted also explains why I
 can't find $send anywhere in the core, other than
         the one instance I pointed out.
 <sivel> dunno, just some thoughts
 <goto10> cool.  For now, I think my best bet is going to be to load up
 some css that hides the editor, even though I
         feel horrible doing so :P
 <goto10> Is it ok for me to post this discussion with my ticket?
 <sivel> then you can do something like:
         add_filter('send_to_editor', 'send_to_editor_posttype');
         function send_to_editor_posttype($send, $post_type) { if (
 $post_type == 'my-cool-posttype' ) { $send = true; } return $send; }
 <sivel> sure, no problem
 <goto10> Ok, thanks and thanks.  I'll give that filter a shot.  (looks
 sweet!)
 <sivel> it may be best placed a little differently, but at least it gets
 and idea out there
 }}}
 (edit: cleaned up for posting ticket)

 I should also note that as of 3.0-RC2-15136, I am no longer seeing the
 "Insert into Post" button on any of the Media Uploader's tabs when the
 editor is not supported, which is more consistent with how things are
 supposed to work, as explained by sivel.