[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #14455: Saved WP Login with Google Chrome does not show the user name when the login page is visited at a later time

WordPress Trac wp-trac at lists.automattic.com
Thu Jul 29 11:39:57 UTC 2010

#14455: Saved WP Login with Google Chrome does not show the user name when the
login page is visited at a later time
---------------------------+------------------------------------------------
 Reporter:  wprunner       |       Owner:
     Type:  defect (bug)   |      Status:  new
Component:  Accessibility  |     Version:  3.0
 Severity:  trivial        |    Keywords:  Chrome, Login, Log In, dashboard, username, password
---------------------------+------------------------------------------------
 Using Google Chrome, when you access the login page of the WP dashboard
 and input the user name and Password, we can save the login info in
 chrome.

 When a new Chrome session is started (close chrome and reopen) and access
 the login page, Chrome SHOULD show the user name and password (dots) so
 that we can just click on the login button to login.

 What is HAPPENING is that Chrome is only showing the password dotted but
 for the user, it is showing a blank field.

 However, if you type the first letter of the user name it shows up and
 then you can click the login button. Well, this is not practical
 especially if you have many sites to manage.

 Why it is a WordPress bug and not Chrome's ?
 Well, this problem only happens with WordPress 3.0. WordPress 2.9 did not
 have this problem, I access the login page and then click Log In, so easy.
 (Chrome shows the user name and password with WP 2.9)

 I tested this on Chrome (of course) running in Vista and XP.

 Why should this be solved?
 Because it very practical to just click the login link on the bookmarks
 bar and then click the log In button to get into the dashboard.