[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #11816: Users should be able to switch from a standard single install to a Multi-Site Install

WordPress Trac wp-trac at lists.automattic.com
Thu Jan 7 23:05:39 UTC 2010

#11816: Users should be able to switch from a standard single install to a Multi-
Site Install
-------------------------+--------------------------------------------------
 Reporter:  jorbin       |       Owner:
     Type:  enhancement  |      Status:  new
Component:  Multisite    |     Version:
 Severity:  normal       |    Keywords:
-------------------------+--------------------------------------------------

Comment(by themattharris):

 Replying to [comment:6 filosofo]:
 > This needs to be easily done or noisily forbidden for regular users.
 It's guaranteed that countless people will think, "all I have to do is set
 this constant and I can turn my site into wp.com!"

 I think so too. So maybe, on the screen that gets displayed a cancel
 option is presented or something like that. Come to think of it would it
 make sense to also provide a 'not yet' option to allow admins into their
 site without running the upgrade at that time - and instead display an
 admin notice reminding them it's a pending action? Same with those who
 cancelled.

 Replying to [comment:7 johnjamesjacoby]:
 > Does it make sense to leave the original wp_ tables and just copy them
 with new wp_1_ prefix? Renaming is lighter, but potentially destructive.
 (Thinking along the lines of trash and/or undo if it borks.)

 Potentially with large sites I could see this leading to problems.
 Duplicating the table and all the meta information maybe too much for a
 single request (and some dbs) - although I have to admit i've not
 attempted it before so this could be a false statement. Renaming is also
 not that destructive. If it breaks then would we not rename back, and if
 really borked, use a recovery script that renames the tables back?

 Is there any mileage in not changing the table names and having the core
 code instead use a 'first_site" prefix? Such that wp_posts works for
 single sites and as site 1 for multi-sites - and then subsequent sites get
 named wp_2_ and wp_3 etc. Just a thought?

--
Ticket URL: <http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/11816#comment:8>