[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #12181: Sanitizing text input fields before rendering but not before storing their content

WordPress Trac wp-trac at lists.automattic.com
Tue Feb 9 09:52:29 UTC 2010

#12181: Sanitizing text input fields before rendering but not before storing their
content
------------------------------+---------------------------------------------
 Reporter:  hargatheterrible  |       Owner:
     Type:  defect (bug)      |      Status:  new
Component:  General           |     Version:  2.9.1
 Severity:  normal            |    Keywords:  sanitize filter
------------------------------+---------------------------------------------
 In WPMU 2.8.5.2 and WP 2.9.1 filters are used to sanitize the content of
 text input fields in the admin area.

 However, the filters are applied only before rendering the content, but
 not before transmitting and storing this content in the database.

 For example, I can type in something like:

 key1="value string with multiple words" AND key2="another value string"

 and store it correctly in the database. When I "echo" this string into its
 text input field again to show that it has been correctly stored, it is
 rendered as

 key1=\

 The problem is that if a user does not pay attention and clicks on "update
 settings" again, the wrong string is stored in the database because the
 wrongly rendered string is transmitted.

 I checked the multitude of filters that WP applies but could not find out
 how to adjust the filtering/sanitizing of input for this specific text
 input field. Even calling "remove_all_filters()" shows no effect.

 I think that sanitizing is a good idea but it needs to become more
 consistent and adjustable in WP. I would like to sanitize everything
 that's between the quotes, not eliminate everything following the first
 quote.

 Thanks a lot in advance for all hints and pointers!

 A.