[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #13103: "Unknown character set" during install into database reports successful install.

WordPress Trac wp-trac at lists.automattic.com
Sat Apr 24 15:10:24 UTC 2010

#13103: "Unknown character set" during install into database reports successful
install.
 Reporter:  MECU          |       Owner:
Component:  General       |     Version:  3.0
 Severity:  trivial       |    Keywords:  install error database
 During editing of the wp-config.php, I changed

 {{{

 define('DB_CHARSET', 'utf8');
 {{{

 define('DB_CHARSET', 'utf8_general_ci');
 }}}
 Which I thought was valid.

 After clicking "Install Wordpress" I got a page full of:
 {{{
 WordPress database error: [Unknown character set: 'utf8_general_ci']
 }}}
 And at the bottom, "Success" with a login prompt, but nothing was actually
 created in the database.

 I think WP shouldn't report a successful install if the user happened to
 accidentally change this value (or another) during install as it would
 cause confusion.

 I used a svn checked out version of WP on 2010-04-24 on my local computer
 using PHP5 and apache2, but I think this is really a problem since 2.6 (or
 when the current install system was implemented).