[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #12865: Better support for beta/staging

WordPress Trac wp-trac at lists.automattic.com
Wed Apr 14 09:15:33 UTC 2010

#12865: Better support for beta/staging
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
 Reporter:  mnolin                                                                    |        Owner:
     Type:  feature request                                                           |       Status:  reopened

Comment(by mikeschinkel):

 Replying to [comment:5 hakre]:
 > I have moved some sites, I think the two most imporant parts are:
 >
 >  - change of a domain name

 For my most recent project I've developed a plugin that supports domain
 migrations from development to testing to staging to live deployment, both
 forward and backwards, and it does it by exposing hooks so that any plugin
 can add it's own support, or anyone who needs to can add said support for
 practically any existing plugin. Unfortunately to be most useful it really
 needs a few modifications to core such as a few functions added to /wp-
 includes/functions.php or another file included in /wp-load.php, a
 function to be called in /wp-config.php just before /wp-settings.php is
 included and addition of a /wp-migrate.php file in the root. None of those
 fit nicely into the "hands-off install" which is preferred for plugins.

 While what I have is not yet what I would call 100% mature, I would gladly
 contribute what I have for review if there is interest in considering it.
 I would present it proactively but I'll need to do some work on it before
 it would be in a form to present and I wasn't planning to do that work in
 the near term but I will if there is interest.

--
Ticket URL: <http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/12865#comment:7>