[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #11065: "add an image" button in "upload/insert" menu in posting screen malfunction. Opens below footer of same page and is positioned out of reach to left off of screen

WordPress Trac wp-trac at lists.automattic.com
Mon Nov 2 22:05:01 UTC 2009

#11065: "add an image" button in "upload/insert" menu in posting screen
malfunction. Opens below footer of same page and is positioned out of reach
to left off of screen
 Reporter:  JohnR123      |       Owner:
Component:  Upload        |     Version:  2.8.5
 Severity:  major         |    Keywords:  upload,insert,add image button
 When trying to insert image into post (edit or new) if I click on the "add
 image" button, it will open on the same page below the footer of the page
 and is offset in position so that most of it is out of reach (beyond the
 left border of page). It is supposed to open as a ghost over the current
 page.

 If I try right click the button and open it in a new tab, the features are
 all there but when I then browse (browser uploader option) my local files
 and select an image, then hit "upload" I see the image and am presented
 with the usual options on size etc. I, then click "insert in post" but I
 get a blank white screen and nothing is inserted in the post (I have tried
 refreshing).

 This occurs on three installations of version 2.8.5. Two of these
 installations are brand new (image upload has never worked on these) and
 were from separate downloads of the wordpress zip file. These new
 installations are running on my local apache2 server. The other
 installation is a live site on BlueHost servers. It is an established site
 that I have kept up with regular upgrades. I recently upgraded to version
 2.8.5 and now this site exhibits the exact same behaviour as the two local
 sites.

 The local sites are running the default theme with no content added and no
 new plugins have been uploaded and the default plugins have not been
 enabled.

 My local computer is running Linux Ubuntu 9.04 and the latest FireFox for
 Ubuntu. I have the latest Java installed as well as Adobe Shockwave and
 the latest flash for Linux. I have enabled all Java advanced features. I
 have also tried to upload images to a post using another computer that
 runs Windows XP Pro. I tried using FireFox on that system as well as IE 8,
 and I get the same malfunctions exactly.

 So in summary, I have this problem happenning on three 2.8.5 versions of
 WordPress two of which are brand new clean installs with no additions
 running on an apache2 server with the latest mysql and php5. The
 configuration is correct with the appropriate settings in php.ini as well.
 The other version 2.8.5 is an older site recently upgraded (hasn't worked
 since) and it runs on Bluehost's server. We (Bluehost and I) have checked
 the settings and inspected the database behaviour for problems, etc, and
 everything seems good at their end.

 My file permissions on all sites are correct at 755 for directories and
 644 for files. On the local served sites I have even tried maxing out the
 permissions with no success.

 On the new installs I had to temporarily set the wp-content directory at a
 higher permission to auto-create uploads folders and sub-directories as no
 uploads folder came with either download of the WordPress zip. I also
 tried creating those folders manually just in case that would help. Also,
 the settings on Misc admin page is the correct path (wp-content/uploads).

 3 different installs, 2 new and 1 upgrade, on 2 different servers,
 accessed by two different computers using different browsers cannot be a
 fluke problem. It needs to be looked at. I can't do anything with any of
 these sites until it is resolved.

 Thank you very much for reading this and helping out.

 Best,
 John