[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #11470: Don't have wp_delete_post and wp_delete_attachment trash the item by default

WordPress Trac wp-trac at lists.automattic.com
Thu Dec 17 20:37:56 UTC 2009

#11470: Don't have wp_delete_post and wp_delete_attachment trash the item by
default
 Reporter:  nacin         |       Owner:
Component:  Trash         |     Version:  2.9
 Severity:  normal        |    Keywords:  dev-feedback
Changes (by nacin):

  * milestone:  3.0 => 2.9

Comment:

 Should be handled in 2.9 or set as wontfix and addressed separately in
 3.0.

 I brought this up for back compat and forward-thinking reasons. The new
 2.9 implementation is inconsistent among the different wp_delete_*
 functions that were modified, and also changes the 2.8 implementation.

 If we're fine with the change from 2.8 to 2.9, that wp_delete_* now
 trashes by default, and I think we are, then they need to be standardized.
 More or less, that means wp_delete_comment needs a $force_delete parameter
 and some core calls need to be modified to reflect that.

 I submitted the patch as one possible fix only because I agree with azaozz
 that it is redundant to maintain both. But we can leave that for 3.0 as
 long as we make them all work the same across post, attachment, and
 comment.

--
Ticket URL: <http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/11470#comment:16>