[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #11413: Lack of favicon.ico link in admin-header.php file causes shortcuts to admin pages to us randome icons

WordPress Trac wp-trac at lists.automattic.com
Sat Dec 12 22:36:10 UTC 2009

#11413: Lack of favicon.ico link in admin-header.php file causes shortcuts to admin
pages to us randome icons
-------------------------------------+--------------------------------------
 Reporter:  NPSites                  |        Owner:
     Type:  defect (bug)             |       Status:  closed
Changes (by demetris):

 * cc: dkikizas@… (added)
  * status:  new => closed
  * resolution:  => wontfix

Comment:

 I consider it bad form to override a website’s favicon, even if it is only
 for the backend.

 Also, as I explained in the wp-dev channel, with the change you propose
 people with more than one WP sites won’t be able to distinguish their
 different dashboards by looking at the favicon.  All dashboards will have
 the same favicon.

 In addition, there are already plugins that let you do exactly what you
 want:

 http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/shockingly-simple-favicon/

 http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/extended-options/

 (Just two I could remember off the top of my head.)

 Ergo, closing as wontfix. :-)

--
Ticket URL: <http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/11413#comment:2>