[wp-trac] Re: [WordPress Trac] #7691: autosave newer version check can be slow enough to cause edit tab to time out

WordPress Trac wp-trac at lists.automattic.com
Thu Oct 9 15:45:43 GMT 2008

#7691: autosave newer version check can be slow enough to cause edit tab to time
out
------------------------+---------------------------------------------------
 Reporter:  tellyworth  |        Owner:  anonymous
     Type:  defect      |       Status:  new
Changes (by dougal):

 * cc: dougal (added)

Comment:

 I ran across this in a real-world situation, as well. A client has a post
 that they are constantly re-editing with updates on a political issue.
 There are nearly 140 revisions so far, and about 19K of html text in the
 current revision. On the test server, everything is fine, but on the
 production servers, which are under load, trying to edit this post will
 time out, more often than not.

 In the 'newer autosave' check, is it really necessary to use
 wp_text_diff()? Why not use a more direct string-to-string equality
 comparison? Or, as suggested above, maybe use some simpler normalization
 before comparison?

 My current work-around for this problem was to bump up the PHP
 max_execution_time variable. But I think this is something that definitely
 needs attention in the WP core. A 19K post isn't so far out of the norm
 that it should run into a performance problem like this.

 It might be good if there was at least some way to shortcut the text diff
 with some filters and/or flags? Something short of replacing the whole
 pluggable function.

--
Ticket URL: <http://trac.wordpress.org/ticket/7691#comment:3>