[wp-trac] Re: [WordPress Trac] #8234: Users with upload_files capability should be able to edit and delete uploaded files without having the edit_post/delete_post capability

WordPress Trac wp-trac at lists.automattic.com
Mon Nov 17 13:17:57 GMT 2008

#8234: Users with upload_files capability should be able to edit and delete
uploaded files without having the edit_post/delete_post capability
-------------------------+--------------------------------------------------
 Reporter:  olethomas    |        Owner:
     Type:  enhancement  |       Status:  new
Comment (by olethomas):

 Replying to [comment:1 mrmist]:
 > I believe this behaviour was introduced in [9686] to fix an issue where
 users could delete media they shouldn't be able to  (I.E. belonging to
 others).

 > I wouldn't want that reverted completely.
 >
 > Of course if the checks can be made more specific, then that's great.
 Though you'd have to watch out because if you are talking about deleting /
 editing media that's attached to a post then effectively you are editing a
 post and it should be checking for edit post ability.

 When using Wordpress as a CMS some users only have the edit_pages and
 upload_files capability and not edit_post. These users can upload files
 and edit them via the upload utility in the "Add new page"-screen but are
 restricted from editing their own files via the Media-page. A check for
 both edit_pages and edit_post could solve the problem. Don't know if that
 would cause other problems.

--
Ticket URL: <http://trac.wordpress.org/ticket/8234#comment:3>