[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #8754: Uploading images whose dimensions are greater than the maximum size allowed fail to generate thumbnails and no error/failure message is displayed.

WordPress Trac wp-trac at lists.automattic.com
Tue Dec 30 02:50:10 GMT 2008

#8754: Uploading images whose dimensions are greater than the maximum size allowed
fail to generate thumbnails and no error/failure message is displayed.
 Reporter:  DRGDC           |       Owner:  anonymous
     Type:  defect (bug)    |      Status:  new
Component:  Administration  |     Version:  2.7
 Severity:  normal          |    Keywords:  image, photo, thumbnail, dimension, size, limit, upload
 The process of uploading images that have dimensions (physical size)
 greater than the maximum size allowed by the global setting will fail part
 way through the process without an error or failure message being
 displayed.

 Example: Uploading a JPEG image with a width of 625 pixels and height of
 938 pixels.  This physical size is greater than the maximum size allowed
 by the default WordPress configuration.

 When uploading such an image using the "Add an Image" panel the the Flash
 uploader will stop with the upload progress bar at 100% and displaying
 "Crunching…".  The Browser uploader will return a blank "Add an Image"
 panel display.

 In both cases the images are uploaded to the appropriate directory on the
 server and appear when the post's media gallery is refreshed.  Thumbnail
 images are not generated for these uploads.  It appears the failure is
 before or during thumbnail generation.

 Note: The maximum image dimension allowed for upload is not the same as
 the Administration > Setting > Media > Large Size: Max Width and Max
 Height settings.  In my case these settings are both set at 1024 pixels
 (above the size of the image I am working with).  It appears this control
 panel setting only impacts the HTML image tag attributes for posts, so as
 not to break the visual design with images that are wider than a layout
 allows.

 Now you may ask what is the default maximum dimension for uploaded images.
 Unfortunately I cannot find my notes on where exactly the setting is in
 the WordPress code (it has no Web GUI access that I am aware of).  I had
 changed this setting once to work around this problem and hoped 2.7 would
 have fixed the issue.  It is a pain to track down as the location of this
 setting has changed over time as it moved to different files and functions
 with each new version of WordPress.

 My understanding is that this maximum image dimension setting was set to
 prevent images over 3 megapixels from being uploaded since those are
 really big and readers shouldn't have to deal with such images.  This is
 old thinking from before broadband and photo blogs took off.

 See: http://lorelle.wordpress.com/2007/03/28/wordpress-thumbnail-size-
 limit-hack/

 I think the default limit should be raised, but that would be a feature
 request.  This ticket is to have error messages displayed.

--
Ticket URL: <http://trac.wordpress.org/ticket/8754>