[wp-trac] Re: [WordPress Trac] #8614: With wp_list_categories child categories not excluded when parents are excluded

WordPress Trac wp-trac at lists.automattic.com
Tue Dec 23 11:29:28 GMT 2008

#8614: With wp_list_categories child categories not excluded when parents are
excluded
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
 Reporter:  marketingfm                                                              |        Owner:  anonymous
     Type:  defect (bug)                                                             |       Status:  new
Comment (by filosofo):

 Replying to [comment:11 jhodgdon]:
 > I also don't agree with you about the expectations. To me, it seems more
 normal that excluding a category should exclude its children. The reverse
 idea seems odd.

 [[BR]]

 Please don't misunderstand me; I think your expectations are at least as
 valid as anyone else's---that wasn't my point.  The problem is a matter of
 semantics and consistency.

 [[BR]]

 Consistency, because that's not how page queries work ("exclude"-ing a
 parent page doesn't exclude its children), or categories in the Loop
 (using "{{{category__not_in}}}" will not exclude posts which are in child
 categories), or posts with children (see "{{{post__not_in}}}").
 Semantics, because {{{wp_list_categories}}} rests on top of the terms, and
 terms can have an indefinite number of relationships or none at all, so
 "exclude"-ing one implies nothing about what should happen to others. The
 result is ambiguity.

 [[BR]]

 > Of course, since 2.7 already went out with this bug, anyone who upgraded
 is already broken...

 [[BR]]

 I've attached a second patch that maintains backwards-compatibility for
 {{{wp_list_categories}}}, when hierarchical is true (the default).

--
Ticket URL: <http://trac.wordpress.org/ticket/8614#comment:12>