[wp-trac] Re: [WordPress Trac] #8614: With wp_list_categories child categories not excluded when parents are excluded

WordPress Trac wp-trac at lists.automattic.com
Tue Dec 23 06:23:30 GMT 2008

#8614: With wp_list_categories child categories not excluded when parents are
excluded
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
 Reporter:  marketingfm                                                              |        Owner:  anonymous
     Type:  defect (bug)                                                             |       Status:  new
Changes (by jhodgdon):

  * keywords:  has-patch get_terms wp_list_categories exclude exclude_tree
               => has-patch get_terms wp_list_categories
               exclude exclude_tree 2nd-opinion

Comment:

 Yeah, but the problem is that people have themes that were using that
 behavior -- at least the people in the above linked support forum thread
 and me (a sample of a few at least).

 So in my opinion, just putting in an exclude_tree option is not the right
 answer. The right answer, in my opinion, would be to keep exclude doing
 what it used to do in wp_list_categories, and add a new argument or
 combination of arguments that would exclude a category and *not* exclude
 its children (which I doubt is a very common usage anyway). That would be
 the option that would break the fewest people already using the function.
 Of course, since 2.7 already went out with this bug, anyone who upgraded
 is already broken...

--
Ticket URL: <http://trac.wordpress.org/ticket/8614#comment:10>