[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #5274: Automatic pingback comments created for blog post that link to blog pages on the local blog

WordPress Trac wp-trac at lists.automattic.com
Mon Oct 29 03:40:30 GMT 2007

#5274: Automatic pingback comments created for blog post that link to blog pages
on the local blog
 Reporter:  Skywing  |       Owner:  anonymous
     Type:  defect   |      Status:  new
Component:  General  |     Version:  2.3.1
 Severity:  normal   |    Keywords:
 I've noticed that, at least with WP 2.3.1, if I have create a page and
 then create a blog post that has a link to the page, WP will automagically
 post a pingback comment to the page.

 This is a bit odd though, as you can't see comments on pages except
 through the administrative interface and the comments RSS feed (at least
 to my knowledge).  The only way I even noticed it was that I got one of
 the usual comment notification mails for a pingback comment that happened
 to be associated with the page in question after I posted a new blog
 entry.

 I don't remember for certain if I've seen this behavior for pre-2.3.1 WP;
 I don't think that I've linked to a page before, but I can't confirm that
 with complete certainty.

 Given that pages don't usually seem to be designed to allow comments to be
 displayed, this seems a lil bit broken to me.

--
Ticket URL: <http://trac.wordpress.org/ticket/5274>