[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #3010: Rich Text Editor interferes with embedding multimedia files that use the object and embed tag.

WordPress Trac wp-trac at lists.automattic.com
Tue Aug 8 03:17:55 GMT 2006

#3010: Rich Text Editor interferes with embedding multimedia files that use the
object and embed tag.
 Reporter:  viperteq        |       Owner:  anonymous
     Type:  defect          |      Status:  new
Component:  Administration  |     Version:
 Severity:  normal          |    Keywords:
 I'm not sure how this could be an issue since we're on version 2.0.4, but
 I have a major bug in Wordpress that I thought someone should know about.

 I didn't really have a clue that it was a bug until I tried to display a
 flash-encoded video on my blog. For some reason, whenever I put the code
 in to embed the video it would seriously screw up my CSS. At first, i
 figured it was just the theme that I was using, but when I switched to the
 default WP theme, the CSS in that was screwed up as well.

 I then thought that maybe it was me that was doing something wrong as I've
 never had a problem displaying content from Google or YouTube. Upon
 comparing my code to the code that youTube generates for embedding
 content, I surmised that that was not the problem as both were exactly
 identical.

 So I started googling for information. I came across this thread which
 gave me some clues: [http://wordpress.org/support/topic/81601?replies=2].
 Going back into the WP Dashboard I proceeded to disable the Rich Text
 editor as was suggested. Problem was that the Rich Text editor was ALREADY
 disabled. The reason that I thought that it wasn't was because I saw
 editing buttons above my post box.

 [http://7andacrescent.com/images/editor_Off.jpg]
 This pic shows what the post window looks like with the Rich Text editor
 turned off.

 [http://7andacrescent.com/images/editor_On.jpg]
 This pic shows what the post window looks like with the Rich Text editor
 turned on.

 Basically no matter what you do, the editor is still present. I have
 tested this in the Mozilla Camino 1.0.2 browser, Flock 0.7 for Mac,
 Mozilla Firefox 1.5.0.6 for Mac, Mozilla Firefox 2.0 Beta for Mac,
 Internet Explorer 6, Mozilla Firefox 1.5.0.5 for Windows, Flock 0.7 for
 Windows and Opera 9 for Windows.

 I was only able to successfully embed the video into my blog post in
 Apple's Safari browser (version 2.0.4) which completely strips out the
 editor even when the editor is enabled:

 [http://7andacrescent.com/images/editor_Safari.jpg]

 I think that this is a very major issue and like I said, I would've never
 noticed had I not had the problems that I had today trying to embed the
 video that I encoded in Flash.

 If whoever is in charge of bugkilling needs anymore information, I will be
 happy to provide all that I can. I can be emailed at: viperteq.info {at}
 gmail {dot} com; Feel free to email me at any time. Thanks!

 UPDATE: I created a thread over at the Wordpress.org forums:
 [http://wordpress.org/support/topic/82441?replies=5] / I go into a lot
 more detail into what I've found there.

--
Ticket URL: <http://trac.wordpress.org/ticket/3010>