[wp-testers] Theme Upload Bug on WordPress.org

Dion Hulse (dd32) wordpress at dd32.id.au
Fri Sep 16 12:48:34 UTC 2011

On 16 September 2011 22:42, Otto <otto at ottodestruct.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 16, 2011 at 4:25 AM, Dion Hulse (dd32) <wordpress at dd32.id.au> wrote:
>> That sounds like the expected behaviour to me, You're reading it as a
>> decimal, whereas, WordPress is reading it as a version string.
>> 0.75 vs 0.8 - decimal
>> 0.75 vs 0.08 - how version strings work in PHP
>>
>> If in future you want a version between 0.7 and 0.8, you'd be best
>> using 0.7.1 or 0.7.5 - the format is major.minor.patch-release that
>> format will work how you expect :)

> Yeah, that's the way versioning should work, but it's hard to convince
> people of that when WP went from 2.9 to 3.0...
>
> But in a *normal* versioning scheme, X.Y.Z is the version, and X, Y,
> and Z are unrelated integers. Question: What properly comes after 2.9?
> Answer: 2.10.

Correct, but Version strings can be both readable (and order
understood by the masses) and be "just another number I don't
understand". to many people, 2.10 would've been equal to 2.1

This is waaay off topic, but, the other suggestion for core is though,
When would've 3.0 actually "made sense" in a 2.10 release world? long
story short: It probably will never make sense due to the fast release
cycle, and limited changes between releases, unlike other applications
where our 2.8 -> 2.9 change would be their Version 5 to Version 6
release (or more likely, V5->6 would be our 2.5 -> 2.9 release)