[wp-testers] Wordpress 3.3 beta 1 and Contextual Help

Andrew Nacin wp at andrewnacin.com
Wed Oct 12 17:51:00 UTC 2011

On Wed, Oct 12, 2011 at 8:30 AM, Chip Bennett <chip at chipbennett.net> wrote:
> The decision seems to go against the usual WordPress MO of providing
backward compatibility, and long deprecation periods, for just about
*everything*.

If it goes against our MO, then I'd double-check to make sure it's a
decision we actually made. :-)

As Otto wrote, backwards compatibility wasn't there. It's back now. The
old-style help, if supplied through add_contextual_help() or the
contextual_help or contextual_help_list filters, will end up in a "Screen
Info" tab. To build your own tabs, you'll need to use the new-style API.

What's the new-style API? Not sure yet. It involves the use of
$current_screen->add_help_tab(), which you can call off the "load-$pagenow"
hook. But note this may change a bit, as I want to make it a bit simpler and
more intuitive.

So, please do experiment with the code, but note that proper documentation
and final code won't come until 3.3 beta 2. I would not be surprised if
coding examples break one last time. If you have contributions to WP_Screen,
see #18785.

Cheers,
Nacin