[wp-testers] Visual editor damages <map></map> HTML

Peter van den Hamer (MSN) vdhamer at msn.com
Tue May 24 15:10:23 UTC 2011

I appended Frank's "map[name],area[title|href|shape|coords]" to
extended_valid_elements using Andrew Ozz's plugin.
Frank's approach also looked quite feasible (if you have a child theme).
Thanks, but...

There were some quirks depending on the exact sequence of events:

* HTML mode: paste Pretty HTML into the editor
* optionally save to database (doesn't make a difference here)
* switch to Visual
* switch back to HTML. This gives an empty map: <map
name="homepagemap"></map>

* with Pretty HTML saved in the database
* edit page, but make sure you enter into Visual mode rather than HTML mode
(have to edit another page first in Visual mode)
* switching to HTML gives working, but de-newlined HTML (the map construct
is screen full in my case: dozens of areas)

So, although by definition all this is perfectly logical once you understand
the internal design, the end result is illogical to users who just wants to
paste in valid HTML code. They have to learn that WordPress not only changes
their formatting (bad if you have something as complex as a table) but that
WordPress chokes on various options. I guess the question is whether you
want the users to adapt to WordPress HTML conventions or whether WordPress
can evolve to handle standard HTML whitespace standards.

Peter