[wp-testers] A RE-EXAMINATION OF THEME REQUIREMENTS - AN ESSAY

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Mon Jun 27 22:53:24 UTC 2011

On Mon, Jun 27, 2011 at 5:13 PM, Bruce Wampler <brucewampler at gmail.com> wrote:
> I spent a long time working with one of the lead reviewers
> to use the Settings
> API, which they consider important, and I think are under consideration to
> make required.

Speaking of that, I don't think that use of the Settings API is
particularly important. The Settings API is nice, but not totally
suitable for a theme in some ways. On the whole, a simpler form system
using the basic nonces and referrer check works fine if the theme also
uses the set_theme_mod and get_theme_mod methods for storing the
resulting input data.

For plugins, I greatly advocate the use of the Settings API. Themes
have different needs.

-Otto