[wp-testers] Can we suggest something?

Foolish Visions shelly at foolishvisions.com
Mon Feb 7 15:11:27 UTC 2011

I know you all are working on 3.2 right now, but I was wondering if I could ask something/pose a suggestion.

One thing that a lot of colleagues and clients would really like to have for WordPress is the ability to show date-based (monthly, yearly, etc.) archives by category.  So if you're in the "dogs" category, they date-based archives for "dogs" posts would show up in the sidebar.  At the moment, they only show ALL posts.  And many times, using a plugin/hacking/creating a custom function is difficult because you run into permalink issues.

So the question is: is there some reason there's not a capability to add "cat" to wp_get_archives()?  Is it too difficult to implement?

If not, *can* it be suggested to do so for the new version?

I've never actually contributed anything to developing core, but if it's possible to add this, I'd be all over it if no one else wants to take it on.

~Shelly