[wp-testers] $post data's GUID

Andrew Nacin wp at andrewnacin.com
Tue May 18 14:01:40 UTC 2010

On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 6:02 AM, Dion Hulse (dd32) <wordpress at dd32.id.au>wrote:

> In the past, It was the current Permalink, I cant remember exactly when it
> changed, But changing it was one to make people not rely on it as much IIRC
>

> On Tue, 18 May 2010 19:42:37 +1000, Philip M. Hofer (Frumph) <
> philip at frumph.net> wrote:
>
>  Yeah for some reason I have a bunch that are set to the non-permalink, and
>> not the /?p=

In hindsight I have seen it expressed that using a URL as the GUID may have
been a bad idea, because they can confuse individuals who look at the
database schema and see the field. Point is, while we at one point changed
how the GUID was calculated, we never changed older posts. The ID is
supposed to be unique and permanent (and hence why we used the URL, as
that's simple).