[wp-testers] WP 3 test blogs sub-dir and subdomain tests. DNS issues, of course

George Kwabenah Appiah info at georgeappiah.com
Mon Mar 8 04:26:42 UTC 2010

On sub-domain install:

Also, note that most of these "novice users" that you're targeting are on
shared hosting, and will not have access to a dedicated server or even VPS
to configure Apache virtual host stuff -- thus they'll have to contact their
host to set it up for them.

So perhaps, if you really want to touch on this, you might want to include a
standard "Send this message to your host" text that these users could send
to their web hosts to turn on Apache virtual host for their domain.

Then again I know some hosts explicitly ban WPMU in their shared hosting
environment, even with sub-directory installation. Dreamhost is one such
example: http://wiki.dreamhost.com/WordPress_MU

*P.S.:* For users with access to server running WHM, this is the simplest
way I know of to handle this in GUI, without having to SSH to manually edit
bind and apache config files:

   1. For DNS: Under DNS Functions, edit DNS zone for the domain and add
   wildcard (*) as an A record pointing to the server's IP
   2. For Apache: Navigate to Service Configuration >> Apache Configuration
   >> Include Editor, and add something like this:

   <VirtualHost server_ip_address:80>
   DocumentRoot /home/amenfis/public_html
   ServerAlias *.amenfis.com
   ServerName www.amenfis.com
   </VirtualHost>

   Then save and click button to restart apache, and that's all there is to
   do. (Of course user might have to wait for proper DNS propagation)

This is what I have which works fine for me on all my dozone-plus WPMU
installations. I don't know if it will work for every WHM server, or if it's
even technically correct :-)

==
George K. Appiah
Founder & Head Janitor
Amenfis Technologies LLC

GH #: +233-24-188-5761
US #: +1-646-867-3498
UK #: +44-844-979-5949

Email: support at amenfis.com
Web: http://www.amenfis.com

About George Appiah
"... Often mildly out of touch with reality, George Appiah
is a Strategic Technology Consultant, Trainer & Speaker
helping Smart Ghanaians leverage technology to hack
poverty out of our dear nation, Ghana"

Email: george at georgeappiah.com
Website: http://www.GeorgeAppiah.com
Twitter: http://twitter.com/GeorgeAppiah