[wp-testers] WP 3 test blogs sub-dir and subdomain tests. DNS issues, of course

Tris Hussey tris at trishussey.com
Sun Mar 7 22:38:37 UTC 2010

Thank you Andrew, that helps answer one of the questions I had jotted down
in my notes (will it make WPMU easier to use or just easier on you
developers by merging the codebase). While I know that my editors will want
me to talk about it a little, setting the right tone is essential. If
working with network blogs is still for those who are neither faint of heart
nor of code, then that's how I'll cover it.

I know that managing network blogs pushes my wp and sysadmin skills to the
edges (hence this thread), so I don't delve into that area (except for basic
examples).

Again, many thanks,

Tris

On Sun, Mar 7, 2010 at 2:28 PM, Andrew Nacin <wp at andrewnacin.com> wrote:

> If the book is aimed at novice users, I'd consider avoiding the Network
> feature altogether then, at least for now.
>
> MU is very advanced. 3.0 is only designed to merge the codebases, not make
> MU any better to use and manage (look no sooner than 3.1 for that). The
> learning curve remains high. That's the reason for the WP_ENABLE_MULTISITE
> constant -- if you don't know how to constant to wp-config.php, then you
> probably shouldn't be venturing away from a single-blog installation. The
> constant was designed to increase the barrier to entry.
>
> On Sun, Mar 7, 2010 at 5:11 PM, Tris Hussey <tris at trishussey.com> wrote:
>
> > Thanks Andrew! That's exactly the info I needed. Ah and the
> > acknowledgements
> > section gets longer...
> >
> > As an aside, I want to couch this chapter in the right terms. The book is
> > aimed at novice users, so I need to be realistic about what people will
> > want
> > to do. I also don't want to discourage people from learning or trying new
> > WP
> > challenges.
> >
> > My gut is telling me that if someone wants to toy with blog networks, and
> > don't have much DNS experience, that they should stick to the
> subdirectory
> > implementation. I'll cover the subdomain stuff, but couched in terms of
> > "advanced level" stuff (like SVN).

Tris Hussey
Writer | Teacher | Photographer | Internet Rogue
cell: 604-319-6765 -- Skype: tris.hussey
http://www.trishussey.com/