[wp-testers] WP 3 test blogs sub-dir and subdomain tests. DNS issues, of course

Tris Hussey tris at trishussey.com
Sun Mar 7 22:11:11 UTC 2010

Thanks Andrew! That's exactly the info I needed. Ah and the acknowledgements
section gets longer...

As an aside, I want to couch this chapter in the right terms. The book is
aimed at novice users, so I need to be realistic about what people will want
to do. I also don't want to discourage people from learning or trying new WP
challenges.

My gut is telling me that if someone wants to toy with blog networks, and
don't have much DNS experience, that they should stick to the subdirectory
implementation. I'll cover the subdomain stuff, but couched in terms of
"advanced level" stuff (like SVN).

Make sense? I appreciate any feedback that will help make this a better book
for people.

Cheers, Tris

On Sun, Mar 7, 2010 at 1:55 PM, Andrew Nacin <wp at andrewnacin.com> wrote:

> You'll need to configure a virtual host and wildcard DNS, such that
> anything
> *.nettest.techplantations.com. will point to the same place.
> Alternatively,
> you can manually configure DNS records for reach subdomain, which is
> prohibitive in a multi-user environment, but probably workable in a
> multi-blog situation. (WP does check if you have a wildcard DNS by trying
> access a random subdomain, but I think it's just a warning you can bypass.)
>
> Here's a nice tutorial from Andrea R:
> http://wpmututorials.com/how-to/enabling-wildcard-subdomains/.
>
> On Sun, Mar 7, 2010 at 4:46 PM, Tris Hussey <tris at trishussey.com> wrote:
>
> > True to all the suggestions in WPMU docs, setting up blog networks with
> > blogs as subdirectories is easier than subdomains...I have a couple tests
> > running and the subdir tests seem to  be working just fine, but the one I
> > set up with subdomains isn't doing so well.
> >
> > I attacked my subdomain setup with the idea of how would someone just
> > blithely step into it, and what snags would they hit.  I want to tick off
> > what I can check and do to fix a subdomain install. Here's the site:
> > http://blogohone.nettest.techplanations.com/ which should give a DNS
> error
> > for you.
> >
> > I'm thinking that there is a wee gap between what I want WP3 to do and
> > DreamHost getting the DNS to work. Suggestions on where I should start?
> > Something that I can check and edit to get this working?

Tris Hussey
Writer | Teacher | Photographer | Internet Rogue
cell: 604-319-6765 -- Skype: tris.hussey
http://www.trishussey.com/