[wp-testers] Twenty-Ten Front Page < h2 >

Bruce Wampler brucewampler at gmail.com
Sun Jun 6 17:51:22 UTC 2010

Sorry, don't mean to beat this to death, but just a follow up on using <
h2 > for the title on the front page in Twenty Ten.

I see the code is explicitly there in page.php, but I really don't
understand the reasoning behind this. I can see an argument for using h2
for posts and h1 for pages, by why treat the front page differently?
Seems to me a post is a post and a page a page, and one would want
consistent treatment for each.

The default Twenty Ten CSS for each of these makes the titles look the
same anyway, but if you are writing a child theme, and want different
title looks for pages and posts, this decision makes that difficult for
CSS only solutions.

My solution in the end is to add a modified page.php in the child theme
- but that then breaks the idea of a CSS only child theme.

Oh well - figuring I needed to start fiddling with override php files
other than functions.php opens up a bunch more theming opportunities, so
I'll go with that.

Nevertheless - Twenty Ten + child themes is a much better way to build a
theme. I wrote a couple of themes for WP 2, and have just finished a
version  of a Twenty Ten child theme, and I must say the new approach is
much more productive and easier. Don't have to worry that you got every
last thing covered - it will be there in the Twenty Ten parent. Very
cool indeed.

--
Bruce Wampler, Ph.D.

Software developer
Creator of first spelling checker for a PC
Creator of Grammatik(tm), first true grammar checker
e-mail: bw at brucewampler.com
tech blog: brucewampler.wordpress.com
WP topics site: wpweaver.info