[wp-testers] WordPress 3.0: problem with empty excerptsbeingreturned by the_excerpt()

Krusty Ruffle krustyruffle at rustykruffle.com
Sun Jul 11 23:14:06 UTC 2010

Okay, here is what's happening:

I'm testing stuff so I'm inserting text with a firefox lipsum extension, it
leaves trailing newlines after inserting text. If you select the text in the
excerpt input on the edit post page and miss the newline it will cause empty
strings to be returned in pages that use excerpts, if you update it a second
time the problem will be fixed.

I think it's trimming the excerpt text when it sets the value for the input
in the edit page, but I'm guessing it doesn't when it saves the data on
update. At any rate I know what causes the problem and can now avoid it in
several ways, if my skills were more advanced I would try to track it down,
submit a bug report, make a patch and all that stuff. Unfortunately I am a
very amateur PHP hacker type so I'll have to leave it at that and hope that
this thread does some good for someone somewhere along the line.

Thanks again for the help and suggestions, if there's anything more I can do
I'd be more than glad to try!