[wp-testers] template_directory ? childtheme_directory ?

John Asbacher john.asbacher at gmail.com
Sat Jan 9 03:20:46 UTC 2010

What I'm trying to get across is...

If you build a child theme and make a call with "template_directory"
from within your child theme, I would expect that it would search the
"child-theme" and if the file is not found there to then search in the
"master-theme" directory.

I might not even understand how child-themes really work. My assumption
is that if you have a "child-theme" it will look there for the file and
if it's not found to then look in the "master-theme" directory.

Are there documents that explain this in detail?

On 1/8/2010 3:41 PM, Demetris wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 9, 2010 at 12:28 AM, John Asbacher<john.asbacher at gmail.com>  wrote:
>
>> WP 2.9.1
>>
>> Using template_directory does not allow finding the file in the child theme
>> directory at all.
>>

> SNIP
>

> I assume this message ended up in the wrong list. :-) But, anyway...
>
> As far as I understand:  What makes a child theme a child theme is
> that it declares (in style.css) a template directory different than
> its own directory.  And that’s what bloginfo('template_directory')
> echoes:
>
> The template directory declared by the active theme.
>
> (When the active theme does not declare a template dir, as is the case
> with themes that are not child themes, the template directory is
> assumed to be the same as the stylesheet directory.)
>
> This is all intentional.  What is it that you are trying to do?
>
> Cheers!
>
> Demetris
*John *