[wp-testers] Custom Post Types in WP3.0

John O'Nolan john at onolan.org
Sun Feb 28 04:52:10 UTC 2010

Hi Guys,

I've been testing out the new Custom Post Type features in WP3.0 and
have a couple of queries that maybe a couple of you could help me out
with:

First / biggest / most obvious query is are custom templates going to
be supported? I'm talking about the exact same functionality as
"custom page templates" present in the "pages" section. I searched
high and low through the Trac ticket but couldn't find anything
relating to this, and it seems like quite a big thing to leave out.
This functionality by it's very nature suggests that the content it
holds will be different from your standard post, and will therefor
need to be styled differently!

The other thing is the permalinks, say I'm making a design portfolio
and I add a custom post type of "portfolio", and then add "my client"
to it. With pretty permalinks turned on (to /%name%/) the url becomes:

domain.com/portfolio/my-client/

however,

domain.com/portfolio/

returns a 404.

Should this not default to category type functionality, acting as a
parent page for all posts inside the "portfolio" custom post type?

Lemme know if I'm missing anything!

Cheers

John O'Nolan