[wp-testers] [wp-hackers] WordPress 3.0.2

Trent Martin trentmar at gmail.com
Thu Dec 2 20:23:22 UTC 2010

I totally agree on the urgency of a security update, except for this:

1. It isn't just a security update, it contains a number of other bug fixes;
11 core files were modified.

2. They thanked the guy who reported it for responsible disclosure which
usually means he would give them time to fix it before making it public,
which he did.

3. It certainly must have taken at least a day or two to fix, test, prepare,
and package an official release so there certainly was enough time to at
least give us a courtesy heads up that an update was imminent.

4. This isn't the first time they have done a surprise release.

I realize this update probably won't break anything, but we still have to go
through a full test run anyway. I certainly do appreciate the work the
WordPress team is doing but I wanted to express my voice as plugin
developer.

So what I would like to know is what I should monitor to get the earliest
and most consistent notification of updates?

TM