[wp-testers] Custom Post Types single.php not working

Michael Van Winkle mike at mikevanwinkle.com
Mon Apr 12 18:33:10 UTC 2010

I've been troubleshooting this on my own sites and have found there are at
least two different erros that can cause the problem.

First, make sure the "rewrite" parameter in the register_post_type()
function is set up properly. It should be 'rewrite' => array('slug' = 'YOUR
POST TYPE'). I found that using the custom post type UI plugin to set up
your post type can be buggy regarding the rewrite setup. In one instance it
kept setting the rewrite to "false" even though I was setting the plugin
controls to true. I'm finding that registering the post type manually via
functions.php is a much more reliable method right now.

Second, if the slug for your post type is being used by a category (or maybe
even a page) you'll get a 404 when you go to your single.php page. You'll
need to change the slug for your category and the REBUILD your permalinks.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Mike Van Winkle

mvanwinkle at fee.org