[wp-testers] unable to locate wp-content error...

alonzo fretwell alonzofretwell at gmail.com
Fri Apr 9 08:56:39 UTC 2010

ty dion,

i suspected i need to give it an account that has access to that folder.

my speculation is that i should create a user or group that has access to
that folder to avoid reducing permissions needed to write to them.

on a somewhat unrelated note i have changed  wordpress address (uri):
location to something strange such that i cannot get the login screen
anymore.

can you or anyone tell me where that string is stored so that i can change
it back to a reasonable setting? its not in wp-config.php or
wp-settings.php.

i am trying to remember how to grep it.

thank you.

On Fri, Apr 9, 2010 at 1:10 AM, Dion Hulse (dd32) <wordpress at dd32.id.au>wrote:

> It depends on the exact server configuration, You need to provide WordPress
> with FTP credentials which can access the specified location.
>
> If the admin account you've given does not have access to that folder,
> you're out of luck, you'll need to give it an account which it can find the
> files with.
>
> In the event that it's just failing to locate the folder there are some
> defines you can define to force WP to use a certain directory:
>
> Eg:
>
> define('FTP_BASE', '/usr/share/wordpress/');
> define('FTP_CONTENT_DIR', FTP_BASE . 'wp-content/');
> define('FTP_PLUGIN_DIR', FTP_CONTENT_DIR . 'plugins/');
>
> (Note: I'm not sure if they should have a trailing slash or not, I dont
> think they should, If it expects slashed, and you define it unslashed, it'll
> just not work.)
>

> On Fri, 09 Apr 2010 14:07:42 +1000, alonzo fretwell <
> alonzofretwell at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>  hi,
>>
>> i am trying to install a plugin but i get the following error message...
>> "Unable to locate WordPress Content directory (wp-content)."
>>
>> i can install them by hand okay but obviously i want them to be handled by
>> the admin panel.
>>
>> to fix this problem i think i need to create a wordpress user with the
>> home
>> folder set to /usr/share/wordpress because other wise it logs into the
>> servers admin account which is in /home/admin and can't find wp-content
>> because its in /usr/share/wordpress.
>>
>> otherwise i think a co-solution is to change the location of where wp
>> thinks
>> it is as a result of the standard 5min instructions which would be
>> /var/www
>> by default.
>>
>> does wp have a default location it expects to be located specified perhaps
>> in wp-config.php or some similar file?
>>
>> please advise.
>>

> --
> Dion Hulse / dd32