[wp-testers] Automating Network Install

Andrew Nacin wp at andrewnacin.com
Thu Apr 8 20:19:52 UTC 2010

On Thu, Apr 8, 2010 at 4:02 PM, Daniel Morrison <info at danstechstop.com>wrote:

> I don't mean to ask a stupid question, but is there any reason that it
> needs
> to be hard to install?

In a nutshell, it was decided that 3.0 is for the merging of the two
codebases and that's it. The MU codebase and featureset needs a lot of work
for it to be used by the masses -- I'd consider that to be a big goal for
3.1. Thus, we decided not to jump through hoops to make it super-easy to
transition from single to multi yet.

Cleanly modifying an existing wp-config.php file is possible but difficult.
We also did not merge the .htaccess rules with the other functions that
handle .htaccess (yet), and because we were doing no other filesystem
operations, we decided not to ask for FTP credentials simply to create
blogs.dir.

On top of that, we decided to tie the visibility of Tools > Network to a
constant. As pointed out by Piotr, if you can't change wp-config, then it
can be assumed you shouldn't be running multisite in 3.0 (at a minimum).