[wp-testers] Swedish letters and domain names

Chris Jean gaarai at gaarai.com
Mon Mar 16 19:00:20 GMT 2009

This brings up a very good topic for the future: support for UTF-8 and
Unicode characters in regex with PHP.

I have experience running dedicated CentOS 5.2 servers and shared
(Hostgator, GoDaddy, etc) servers. None of these platforms, which is
representative of a non-trivial number of server configurations out
there, have support for Unicode properties in PCRE. This means that none
of these platforms can support UTF-8 or other Unicode characters in
regular expressions by default. For full details on the matter, see my
blog post on the topic: http://tinyurl.com/dks2te

As far as the topic goes, does anyone have any information on whether or
not the lack of Unicode support in regex would cause problems?

Chris Jean
http://gaarai.com/
http://wp-roadmap.com/
http://dnsyogi.com/