[wp-testers] Auto upgrade to 2.8 not working?

Kim Parsell kparsell-wp at kpdesign.net
Thu Jun 18 13:34:58 GMT 2009

Auto-upgrade worked fine for me on every WP install except one (all were
on same server). It showed a successful upgrade, but afterwards I tried
to reset my timezone to the correct city instead of GMT-x, and the
General Settings page was truncated at the timezone dropdown box (see
http://wordpress.org/support/topic/278574 for the details).

I've done some more investigating in my error logs, and found 3
database-related errors that occurred during upgrade:

[11-Jun-2009 05:03:35] WordPress database error You have an error in
your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server
version for the right syntax to use near '(
                        emailed_ID mediumint(9) NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT,
                        time bigint(11) D' at line 1 for query CREATE
TABLE  (
                        emailed_ID mediumint(9) NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT,
                        time bigint(11) DEFAULT '0' NOT NULL,
                        email varchar(255) NOT NULL,
                        UNIQUE KEY emailed_ID (emailed_ID),
                        INDEX ( email )
                     ) made by activate_plugin, include, cr_install, dbDelta
[11-Jun-2009 05:03:35] WordPress database error Table
'kpdesign_xxxxxx.e' doesn't exist for query SELECT
c.comment_author_email FROM wp_comments c
                   LEFT JOIN  e ON e.email = c.comment_author_email
                   WHERE e.email IS NULL
                   GROUP BY c.comment_author_email made by
activate_plugin, include, cr_install
[11-Jun-2009 05:03:35] WordPress database error You have an error in
your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server
version for the right syntax to use near '(
                        emailed_ID mediumint(9) NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT,
                        time bigint(11) D' at line 1 for query CREATE
TABLE  (
                        emailed_ID mediumint(9) NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT,
                        time bigint(11) DEFAULT '0' NOT NULL,
                        email varchar(255) NOT NULL,
                        UNIQUE KEY emailed_ID (emailed_ID),
                        INDEX ( email )
                     ) made by activate_plugin, do_action,
call_user_func_array, cr_install, dbDelta
[11-Jun-2009 05:03:35] WordPress database error Table
'kpdesign_xxxxxx.e' doesn't exist for query SELECT
c.comment_author_email FROM wp_comments c
                   LEFT JOIN  e ON e.email = c.comment_author_email
                   WHERE e.email IS NULL
                   GROUP BY c.comment_author_email made by
activate_plugin, do_action, call_user_func_array, cr_install

The rest of the error logs after that have the memory exhausted fatal
error for each instance where I tried to access the General Settings
page and it was truncated at the timezone box. It turns out that the
WP-Syntax plugin isn't at fault for the error, as I'm using it on 2
other upgraded installs and no problems/errors with those.

Any ideas on what caused the database error during upgrade? Also, is
there anything that I can do to fix this database error or do I need to
downgrade to my 2.7.1 backup and try the upgrade again?

Thanks in advance!

Kim